PARK AVENUE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 106 E. 86TH STREET, NEW YORK, NY 10028
212-427-5421 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Music & Organist (DMO) will work with the Pastor(s), choir members, and church staff to provide and enable the highest possible standard in worship music. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, adaptable, and rooted in the Christian faith with a passion for excellence and a willingness to expand the music program.
The DMO will report directly to the Senior Minister who will assist with general planning and leadership of the music ministry. In the absence of the Senior Minister, the Associate Pastor and/or Staff Parish Relations Committee will assume this responsibility. An annual evaluation will be provided by the Senior Minister and subject to review by the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
STATUS: The DMO is a part-time position, of 15-18 hours per week. All duties are expected to be performed within this time frame. The Church will not be liable for any time worked over and above 18 hours per week without authorization from the Senior Minister.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The DMO will audition and supervise all professional singers and make sure that the choir reflects the Church’s diversity. He/she will select appropriate organ and choral music for the 11 o’clock service in conjunction with the Senior Minister; and be responsible for supervising the musician for the 9 o’clock service and children’s choirs, including the hand bell choir.
Additionally, the DMO will be responsible for all music for the following “special” services throughout the year:
Ash Wednesday Easter (9 & 11)
Midweek Lenten services Animal Blessing
Maundy Thursday Christmas Eve
Good Friday Choir Concert(s)
Additional days, services, concerts, etc. may be added to reflect the growth of the Church and music ministries. The DMO will hold at least one regularly scheduled choir rehearsal each week during the choir year (September to May).
The DMO will be responsible for the leadership of the following:
- Rehearsal on Sundays with the entire choir (or as otherwise specified). During the summer months, the choir will recess from the 2nd Sunday of June until the 2nd Sunday of September unless otherwise agreed upon with the Senior Minister. The DMO will recruit and coordinate soloist(s) for each Sunday during the summer when the choir is on recess.
- Be responsible for the purchase of all music and music supplies and the hiring of instrumental and vocal soloists. Expenditures in this area shall not exceed the amount provided in the church budget for the current fiscal year.
- Maintain the music library in an orderly fashion and maintain a suitable number of copies of musical pieces to enable performance of those pieces by the choir. The DMO will not engage in the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted materials by photocopying or any other means that would expose the Church to liability for penalties under existing or future copyright laws. In the event that photocopying of music becomes necessary for appropriate purposes, the DMO, on behalf of the Church, will first obtain all necessary permissions and authorizations prior to any such reproduction of copyrighted materials. The Church indemnifies the DMO from all liability in connection with the foregoing, provided he/she complies with this paragraph.
- Own the copyright and/or the rights granted by copyright holder to any work composed, created, arranged, or otherwise modified by the DMO, regardless of whether the composition, creation, arrangement, or modification was done during the term of this contract and/or at the direction of the Church.
- Supervise maintenance, storage, and cleaning of choir robes.
- Be responsible for submitting all payrolls to the Business Manager in a timely manner as requested and provide any other expenses that need to be paid or reimbursed.
- Be responsible for preparing and managing the choir budget and making sure it does not exceed what has been approved by the Church Finance Committee. He/she may be required to show creativity with regard to reducing expenses, cost savings, and revenue producing opportunities in the event the Church has to reduce the anticipated budget.
- The DMO is expected to adhere to the Church’s Safe Sanctuary policy and require the same of all Church musicians.
- Meet weekly with the Senior Minister at a mutually agreed time and attend weekly staff meetings. There may also be occasional times when the DMO will be required to meet with Church committees such as Staff Parish Relations or Finance and make reports on the condition and needs for the choir, maintenance of the Church’s musical instruments, and any other related needs.
- The DMO will have access to the sanctuary, choir room, and copier during regular office hours as well as other times during the week as needed.
The DMO is expected to show superior competence as an organist and choirmaster. The ideal candidate will have competency in traditional Church music as well as classical and diverse musical styles (including World Music), seasons of the Christian year, and be able to connect the music with the Scriptural texts for the day/season. He/she must be amenable to taking additional training at the direction of the Senior Minister and/or Staff Parish Relations Committee. A minimum of 3+ years of experience as a Church musician is recommended. It is highly desirable for the DMO to be a member of the American Guild of Organists (AGO).
The DMO will be paid an annual salary based upon experience to be negotiated at the time of hire with the Senior Minister and Staff Parish Relations Committee. He/she will also receive four weeks of vacation per year that can either be taken consecutively during the summer or as separate Sundays as approved by the Senior Minister. Vacation must be scheduled in advance and approved by the Senior Minister.
The DMO is to contact the Senior Minister immediately if he/she is sick and unable to work at a time when expected. The earliest notification possible is expected. The DMO is responsible for finding a replacement organist for all missed services; the exception being if he/she is too ill to contract a replacement.
WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS:
The DMO will provide music at all weddings requiring organ music held within the Church’s premises. The fee for this service will be paid by the wedding couple and agreed upon ahead of time. If the DMO is not available, he/she will assist in hiring a substitute musician. Any party wishing to bring in an organist other than the DMO must request approval from the DMO, and if this request is approved, the DMO will receive their customary fee in full as if they were playing the service.
The DMO will provide music for funeral services held within the Church premises if available at the time of the funeral. Additional compensation will be paid for this service provided by the bereaving family. If the DMO is not available, he/she will assist in hiring a substitute musician. It shall be the obligation of the Church to secure said fee.
In 1971 Park Avenue had the Schantz Organ Company build a new organ for the church. The result became our current organ, model Opus 1022 (1971). Featuring electro-pneumatic key, stop and combination action the Opus 1022 has three manuals, 45 stops, 41 ranks and 2,392 pipes. More information about the Schantz Organ at PAUMC can be found at: http://paumcnyc.org/a-history-of-our-organ/
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three (3) professional references, and 3-5 links to audio/video samples of the applicant’s playing and choral conducting to email@example.com with the subject header PAUMC Director of Music Application.
Due to the large number of applicants, only those asked to interview will be contacted regarding their status.
ALL CHURCH EMPLOYEES WILL BE SUBJECT TO A BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT.
ALL CHURCH EMPLOYEES WILL READ, SIGN AND ABIDE BY THE PARK AVENUE SEXUAL ETHICS, SAFE SANCTUARIES AND ETHICS POLICIES.